Click on any image to learn more!
About Jackson County REMC
Jackson County REMC is a member-owned rural electric cooperative. There are approximately 20,000 members served by 24,200 active meters in place on 2,886 miles of line, an average of 8.4 meters per mile. Our system encompasses both good farming areas and hilly sections which provide as beautiful and scenic attractions as you will find in southern Indiana.
Our headquarters is located in Brownstown about 1/2 mile east of U.S. 50 at 274 East Base Road. Turn east off of U.S. 50 onto East Bridge Street at the Marathon gas station on the northeast side of town.
We are a nonprofit cooperative. This means that no stock is owned, there are no dividends declared, and any excess of revenue over expenses (margins) is treated as capital contributed by each member in proportion to the amount of electricity purchased.
The purpose of Jackson County Rural Electric Membership Corporation shall be to serve the electric energy needs of its members fully, equitably, and reliably at a high level of service consistent with sound economy and good management.
Two important events started the Rural Electrification program early in 1935. The Indiana legislature in its 1935 General Assembly passed the State REMC act, and on May 11, 1935, the United States Congress passed the bill establishing the Rural Electrification Administration (REA), which became part of the Rural Utilities Service (RUS) in 1994.
The first public meeting to organize an REMC in Jackson County was held on November 5, 1936. Two hundred people attended.
The first REA loan to Jackson County Rural Electric was approved September 22, 1937, for $100,000.
The first pole was set on February 12, 1938. That pole, which was made from a native chestnut tree, remained in service until October 1, 1997. It had an extraordinary life of nearly 60 years!
Actual connection of electricity to homes began on Tuesday, June 28, 1938. The home to receive the account number "1" was that of Mr. and Mrs. William VonDielingen of the Tampico area.
During 1939 and 1940 it was agreed to enlarge the service area to include parts of adjacent counties.
Our Service Area
Our service area extends into portions of ten counties, including most of Jackson and Washington Counties; 2-1/2 townships in Jennings County; 3-1/2 townships in Scott County; 3 townships in Lawrence County; 1 township in Brown County; and small portions of Clark, Jefferson, Monroe and Bartholomew Counties. Excluded are some areas in and around the larger towns which had electric service at the time the Rural Electric was started in 1937.
Our service area is about 50 miles long (north and south) and 46 miles wide at the greatest extremities, covering approximately 1400 square miles.
Our construction and service crews operate from the headquarters at Brownstown.
Political Action Statement
“Jackson County REMC considers it our duty, and our responsibility to make the views of the Rural Electric clear to those who have the potential to impact the laws, regulations, and policies that can influence the Rural Electric and its member owners.”